Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An Angel Among Us: Lessons from Kim

I hadn't planned to blog much this week. But my heart hurts and I can't stop thinking about my dear friend and her family. Sometimes it feels better to write it out so here goes...

Kimberly lived her life with purpose. She was a devoted Wife, Mother, Sister, Daughter, Aunt, & Friend.

She was my friend.

To know Kim was to love her. You would love her if for no other reason, simply because she loved you. She had the ability to make everyone think she was your best friend. Sincerely. 

I want to honor Kim by sharing some of the lessons she taught me.

Get a sitter and do out with your hubby - even if you just get in the car and drive to get a cold refreshing beverage.

When Robert and I were newly married, before we had any kids, Kim and her husband, Robby, would call, tell us they got a baby-sitter, and invite us to go out for a drive. I didn't get it until after we had kids. Lesson: Who cares what or where date night is; you are with your love and away from the kids. 

Be your kids Mom. Sounds like a no-brainer right? Kim was supermom. Her life was her kids. She had 5 of them and loved every one of them to her core. She sacrificed so much for them, but to her it was never a sacrifice. She taught them how to be kind, loving, courageous, giving, and to love Christ.

Boys will be boys. Kim's oldest 3 are boys. Her boys think she is the coolest mom - EVER. Not only has she supported and encouraged these boys with everything from sports to general playtime, but she gave her boys such freedom to explore the world and get dirty, messy, and everything in between. The more dirty, the better!

Faith and a love of Christ. She taught her children to have faith in God and instilled a love of Christ in them.

The last time I saw Kim was about 2 weeks ago. We chatted in the hall at church. One of her boys was in tears and I asked her what was wrong. Kim informed me that he was sad because they were leaving to drive back home, and that was sad because he wanted to stay to go to Primary. It melted my heart that this 10 year old boy was sad to leave church.

Give. Give of yourself, give of your time, and give of your talents. Kim was a giver and a doer. She was the first to lend a helping hand wherever needed. It didn't surprise me that he final act on Earth was to serve others. Even in death she gave of herself. As an organ donor, Kim gave the gift of life to 4 people in need.

Speak with Love. I never once heard Kim utter a negative remark towards anyone.

The world lost a beautiful soul, but her memory of love and kindness will live on.


If you feel so inclined, the family has set up a memorial fund to assist the 5 children that Kim left behind.

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Kim sounds like an amazing woman. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Alycat said...

wow....what an awesome mom she was!!
i don't know her, but her story touched me so much i just knew i needed to help her family.
thank you for sharing!

Qwendykay said...

I can not believe this! I am so glad you posted this. Rob & Kim always housesat for us, I loved them, she was an amazing mom. Thanks for posting the Pledgie Link

heather said...

Thanks Aly- You are are so generous and thoughtful!

Wendy- I forgot about that! Years ago, before I even met you, I went to your house to watch a movie (on the BIG screen) with robbie & kim while they were house sitting.

Mendel Family said...

Heather-
This was a beautiful post that you dedicated to Kim. I am going to miss her so much it hurts. But, I am glad for her wonderful example she left behind. Thank you for being her friend, and for the support of your family during this difficult time!