Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Recap: Little Miss & my DIY disaster

Are you a DIY kind of person?

I am, or at least I like to think I am. Sometimes my DIY projects don't turn out quite as I envisioned. This was the case for my daughter's costume. She was going to be a butterfly: white wings, hot pink tutu, hot pink onesie & white tights, and her cute hot pink boots from Target. (With all the hot pink I give you permission to roll your eyes!)


My tutu making skills need some refining - seriously. To put it bluntly, it turned out disastrous!

With a party on Friday night I had very little time to throw something together. Then I remembered that I bought a monarch butterfly that I was going to use when I decorated her room - but decided against using it. It was still in her closet.

I took her orange shirt and stitched the body of the butterfly on the back for some stability, added some elastic to the butterfly's body to make straps and voila...

She is a monarch butterfly!


Did you dress up for Halloween?? What were you?

p.s. If you have any tips on how to make a tutu, please feel free to leave a comment.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Heather, haven't you seen the tutu you can make just by tying strips of toule around elastic? Is that the kind you tried to make?

Kristina P. said...

I can barely make a piece of toast, so you get an A+ in my book! She looks adorable.