Friday, July 24, 2009

Freshness from the garden: herbs

I love the freshness that my garden has delivered.


I think I'll make pesto and try my hand at making the Chicken Pomodori panini in from here. I think this will be on the menu tonight for dinner.


Cilantro is quite possibly my favorite herb. I use it whenever I can, which is way I decided to plant it - so I could!


My new favorite recipe with cilantro is Wheat Salad. My friend, Maria introduced this dish to me - she make is much better than I do, although it is a very simple recipe. I can't tell if this is a pregnancy craving or just the fact that I love it! Here's the recipe so you can love it too!:

Wheat Salad

2 Cups of wheat
3 diced tomatoes
1 bunch of chopped cilantro
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 teaspoon of salt
1 avocado
1/2 cup of "Kraft" Zesty Italian Fat Free Dressing
1 squeeze of lime juice

Boil wheat in water for about 20-30 minutes. Wheat needs to be soft.
Using a strainer, rinse wheat with cold water.
Place in medium bowl, add tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Mix with a fork, add lime juice, dressing and salt. Keep mixing and add avocado on top.
Serve with chips or tostadas.

*The last time I made this I did not have a lime (note to self: plant a lime tree), instead I used a lemon - and it tasted just as good.

Mmmm! typing that recipe has me wanting this wheat salad for lunch.

1 comment:

Carol VR said...

I hate cilantro....yuck, yuck, yuck!!!