Monday, June 8, 2009

gardening love

This is the first year that we've managed to plant a garden. We are growing tomatoes, corn, both yellow & red, carrots, green beans, radishes, squash, cucumbers, strawberries, celery, bell peppers, grapes, basil, cilantro and jalapeno & chili peppers.



Something has been eating the strawberries and tomatoes (and it's not my boys!). So instead of using a harmful pesticide I found an organic one using garlic. This is probably old news - but for me its not. (As I previously mentioned I am new to gardening...it has something to do with my "black" thumb). Here is the recipe for any of you gardeners out there who have the same problem:

Garlic pesticide spray
Soak 3 to 4 ounces of chopped garlic bulbs in 2 tablespoons of mineral oil for one day. Dissolve 1 tsp of fish emulsion in a pint of water and add it to your solution. Stir. Strain liquid and store in a glass container - not metal! Dilute 1 part solution to every 20 parts of water. Kills aphids, mosquitoes, and onion flies.


...and more uses with garlic

1. If you plant garlic with tomatoes, it will keep away red spider mites.

2. If you plant garlic around fruit trees, it will repel borers.

3. Spray garlic pesticide on sweet potatoes to repel rabbits.

4. Spray ponds with garlic-based oil to kill mosquitoes.

found here


2 comments:

Carol VR said...

If I loved closer, I'd be tempted to say it's my dog eating your strawberries. Last year, I beleive she ate more than we picked given it was the first year we had put the patch in.

Good luck with the garden.

Lorac said...

Your garden looks great! Nice start!