Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Sadly, I admit that I am not much of a reader these days. It is difficult to find the time (even if it's good) to get through a book.

While Christmas shopping at BN for a particular book, this little obscure book sitting on a table drew me to it. After reading the back, I had to read it and could not wait to get started.

I can not recall a time when a book swept me away into a time of poverty and daily struggle and yet I found myself wanting to go there and experience those same struggles and simple joys of life.

The author, Betty Smith, did an exceptional job in re-creating a time and place, and all the details surrounding a era in which she grew up.

I finally finished it last week and all I have to say is READ IT.

3 comments:

Ang said...

Thanks for the recommendation- it will definitely be added to my "to read" list!

Julie said...

I will add it to my list too.

Nicki said...

I read this book several years ago and I remember really liking it also. Great story!