Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Holiday Jam

I only call it Holiday Jam because I make it once a year during the Holidays. Last year I managed to get this out to my friends & family before Christmas. This year, the jam had to wait until after.

This year I made Strawberry Jam.

Now you can too...
2 Quarts of fresh (or frozen) Strawberries, hulled
1 box (1 3/4 oz) package powdered pectin
1/2 tsp. butter
7 cups sugar
1. Crush 1 cup of berries in a big pot. Continue adding berries and crushing till you have about 5 cups crushed berries. Stir in pectin and butter. Heat on high, stirring constantly, till mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Add sugar all at once. Return to boiling; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off foam.
2. Ladle into hot, sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch from top. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids onto jar and screw on tightly. Place upside down on a flat surface.
{tip #1: I wash my jars in hot water and once clean and just before mixture is ready, I soak jars in the sink in hot water until Ready for each one.}
{tip #2: Turning the assembled hot jars upside down seals the lids super tight and jars can be stored for longer than normal. But trust me - this jam is too good to store for long periods of time.}

2 comments:

Carol VR said...

Thanx for the recipe. My husband loves strawberry jam and so I've bookmarked it.

Julie said...

I will have to try to make this for all of our friends. Love you