Wednesday, April 16, 2008

best compliment EVER

I received an unexpected compliment from a random person today. Here is the story:

I am visiting with a couple of girlfriends (and their kids) at my house today. We just finished eating lunch when there was a knock at the door. "Who's here mommy?" "I don't know, let's go see."

I am not expecting anyone. So the possibilities were endless.

I open the door and there was a punk kid standing there. He seemed decent enough, I guessed to be of college age.

So he proceeds to tell me that he is a neighbor of mine. Funny! I didn't recognize him. Never mind the fact that I have lived in my house for 4 years and I know every neighbor! (We have block parties - I know ... very suburban of us). He tells me he is Dr. So-And-So's son. OK - never heard of the good doctor. Go on ...


"I am doing a project for one of my college classes" ... Then he asks, "Is your mom or dad home?"

I smiled and paused for what seemed like an eternity (to him it was probably more). During this pause I thought, do I say 'no they are not and I don't know when to expect them?'

As I maintained my smile I broke the silence and said, "I am the mom."

This kid was a little embarrassed, and at this point I had a crying baby and another son wanting to escape through the open front door. He saw I was a little busy and offered to return at a later date.


I will be the first to admit that I do not look my age, but to ask if 'my mom is home,' is a new one for me. Little did he know, he made my day!

5 comments:

Julie said...

I have had that happen to me too but over the phone but that still makes me happy.

We are THAT Family said...

That is so sweet!

Hey, send me your address so I can mail you the prize!

Nicki said...

I bet he won't come back!

Honey said...

That's awesome! Hooray for punk kids, sometimes!

jennyonthespot said...

That's awesome! Work it!